moved to new blog. these poems are old and weird. l8r days

Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

i went to my elementary school today

I remember your Bible studies
you put ketchup on our hands so nobody could touch us
and whispering preschool hymns, we picked from behind your fence
until my mother drove me away
And i remember when i had glass skin
and Patrick broke through, so i had to get tougher shoes
we danced and gambled affections over layers of broken skin
splintered backs, loose lips and heavy hearts.
And then the hours would grow thin, and sift through my fingers
so i untied my shoes and loosened my shirt
we tore into the grass, lush and sniffling, you told me we'd probably get married
you were crying in the kitchen, so i wet my lips just to prove that i was sorry.
I remember a ring of flowers around your eyes and a blue dress melted at my feet
4 o'clock on thursday night, i found the picture we took when you discovered that we could love
I remember what we drank, and how i almost touched warm skin.
Taking up my friday in strangers arms, she pulled me into warm light and then let me go
In the morning we would dig our feet into the marsh, and you said i shouldnt talk to you.
Your dog had wet old eyes, and i never fancied getting my hands dirty like that.
late holiday afternoons
we would sip on garbage beer and stare at the ocean
wondering when we had ever been 13



IF ITS THE BEACHES- THE AVETT BROTHERS


No comments:

Post a Comment